Jan 28, 2022
The purpose of the Interdisciplinary Studies program is to provide a coherent and rigorous, yet flexible, course of study that will allow students to combine two or three academic disciplines to meet a clearly-defined intellectual or professional goal. Each student will be required to propose a specific course of study to the Interdisciplinary Studies Committee for approval. The proposal will define a course of study, explain the student’s goals for the proposed course of study, and explain how the specific arrangement of courses provides a coherent program to achieve those goals. The Committee, which will include faculty representation from all colleges in the university, will review each student’s plan for compliance with the program requirements. The program will require a total of 124 semester hours of course work. Students must complete all requirements for the General Education Curriculum and all general requirements for the B.S. degree.
General requirements are as follows:
- Complete a minimum of 124 credit hours to graduate. Note: No more than 62 semester hours of community/junior college coursework (including AP and CLEP credit) can be applied to any baccalaureate degree.
- Complete General Education Curriculum.
- Complete 39 hours in the major (including IS 499). Note: Any course used to satisfy the General Education Curriculum cannot be used toward the 39 hours required of the major.
- Complete 27 or more hours of the required 124 credit hours at the 300- or 400-level.
- Complete a minimum of 12 hours in at least two different academic disciplines and no more than three different academic disciplines.
- Minimum grade of C required.
The following is a list of approved disciplines for Interdisciplinary Studies:
|*Art – Studio Courses
||Health & Kinesiology
|| Women’s Studies
*Art - Studio Courses – All courses are studio art courses.
**Art History – All courses are art history courses.
(Minimum grade of C required)
B.S. Degree Requirements:
8 semester hours of Laboratory Science
- MA 113 - College Algebra or higher (excluding MA 123)
6 semester hours of Science and/or Mathematics
3 semester hours of additional mathematics above MA 113 or computer applications/programming course
Total Hours Required for a B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies: 124 Semester Hours