May 28, 2024  
2013-14 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2013-14 Undergraduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

4. Tuition and Expenses

The Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning approved the following expenses

4.1 Tuition and Fees

A portion of student tuition and fee charges is used for operating costs, including scholarships, tuition waivers, and other operating costs. It is the intent of the University to keep expenses at a minimum. The residence halls and food service must be self-supporting, and their fees are set according to costs.

2013-2014 Tuition


Out-of-State Fee

Total Out-of-State

Undergraduate Full-Time  $2,820.00  $4,860.00  $7,680.00
Undergraduate Part-Time  $235.00  $405.00  $640.00

Overload Tuition:

Undergraduate students taking more than 19 semester hours must pay an additional $235.00 per semester hour.


Late Registration $10
Change of Course (Drop/Add) - per change $10
On-line Course  - per hour $10

Updated tuition and fees, including summer school tuition are also published online (

4.2 Room and Board

Double Occupancy




Total Room and Board

per Term

Callaway, Jones & Kincannon, Full Term

per Accelerated Term


$   889.25


$   656.50



Grossnickle, Full Term

per Accelerated Term


$   911.25


$   656.50



Columbus & Hastings-Simmons, Full Term

per Accelerated Term


$    942.00


$   656.50




Single Occupancy

Callaway, Jones & Kincannon, Full Term $3,108.00 $1313.00 $4,421.00
Grossnickle, Full Term $3,189.00 $1313.00 $4,502.00
Columbus & Hastings-Simmons, Full Term $3,293.50 $1313.00 $4,606.50

Living expenses include housing and unlimited access to the cafeteria during serving hours plus $150 Bonus Bucks. Bonus Bucks can be used in the Subway Café, Simply to Go (Parkinson lobby) or to pay for guest meals in the cafeteria.

Full-time commuting students, attending classes on campus, will be assessed $100 Bonus Bucks per semester.

4.3 Special Fees

Bypass Examination Fee

The fee of $125.00 must accompany the completed application for a bypass examination.

Advanced Placement and CLEP Recording Fees

A $25.00 fee per course must be paid before Advanced Placement or CLEP credit will be recorded on a student’s transcript.

Degree Audit Fee

A non-refundable fee is required of all students who apply for a degree by the deadline published on the Academic Calendar.  Applications for degrees are available in the Office of the Registrar. Should a student not complete graduation requirements for the term indicated, another application must be filed and another audit fee paid. Late fees may be assessed. See the Academic Calendar for deadlines.

Course Participation Fees

Non-refundable fees in addition to tuition are associated with some courses which require the use of special equipment, facilities or materials. These fees, which vary from course to course, will be listed in the schedule of classes each term and will be collected as part of registration.

4.4 Payment Plans

Tuition and fees are due in full on registration day. If a student is unable to pay in full, that student must set up a payment plan. Mississippi University for Women has contracted with Tuition Management Systems, Inc., to offer annual (nine or 10 payments) and semester (four or five payments) plans. The only additional cost for selecting Tuition Management Systems, Inc. is an enrollment fee of $65 for the annual plans and $46 for the semester plans. There is no interest charge. Call 800.722.4867 and talk with a professional payment counselor about the payment plan that is best for you. Information about the payment plans is available from Tuiton Management Systems at


All remittances should be sent to University Accounting and should be made payable to Mississippi University for Women. Checks made payable to students are honored in payment of fees. A service charge will be imposed for returned checks, and returned checks will be subject to legal collection procedures unless payment is made promptly upon the demand. If your check is returned for non-sufficient funds, you expressly authorize your account to be electronically debited or bank drafted for the amount of the check plus any applicable fees. The use of a check for payment is your acknowledgement and acceptance of this policy and its terms and conditions. Payments on student accounts may also be made on-line using Banner Web.

4.5 Adjustments to Charges / Refunds

Adjustments to tuition and housing expenses are made for students who officially withdraw from the University during the first ten days of classes in the full-term fall and spring, during the first six days of classes in the full term summer, during the first three days of the five-week summer sessions, or during the first five days of the accelerated fall and spring sessions. Students will be assessed 5% of full tuition and reimbursed for the remainder. No refund in tuition will be given after the above listed periods. Tuition charges are not adjusted if classes are dropped after the last day to add/drop classes via Banner Web. The last day to add/drop via Banner Web is the last day to add a class. See the Academic Calendar for specific dates.

Note: Tuition charges are not adjusted if classes are dropped after the last day to add/drop classes via Banner Web. The last day to add/drop via Banner Web is the last day to add a class. See the Academic Calendar for specific dates.

Housing expenses will be pro-rated, based on actual residency. Students withdrawing from student housing before the contract period ends will be assessed an additional $250.00 termination fee. Students who withdraw from student housing during the first five weeks of the fall or spring semester will receive a pro rata refund of their original meal plan disbursement.

Note: First-time students who receive financial aid under the Title IV program are subject to the refund guidelines of that program. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid or the Comptroller for specific guidelines.

Non-Attendance of classes does not constitute an official withdrawal from the University. Per contract agreement, students who remain enrolled but who withdraw from the residence hall will receive no refund of fees, and if they signed a two-semester contract they will be billed again for housing in the spring semester so long as they are still enrolled at MUW. Students who withdraw from the University during the first two weeks of classes will have their living expenses pro-rated, based on actual residency.

Students who are charged for a private room will have rates adjusted if the private room status is changed. No adjustments will be made in housing fees in the last thirty calendar days of the semester. Students who move out of the residence halls because they are engaged in directed teaching or other field experiences will have their living expenses pro-rated, based upon actual residency.

Students who withdraw from the University are responsible for any balance remaining on their account. See Withdrawal Procedures in General Student Policies and Procedures .

4.6 Student Obligations

General Information

Accounts owed to the University must be cleared before the student will be allowed to preschedule classes for subsequent semesters. The University reserves the right to refuse transcripts, diplomas, degree verifications, and letters of good standing to students whose financial obligations have not been satisfied. Students who withdraw from the University are responsible for any balance remaining on their account.

Any student account that remains unpaid at the end of the semester and is not paid within thirty days may be turned over to an outside collection agency. To cover the collection agency costs, a fee will be added to the amount owed by the student.

Identification Cards

All regularly enrolled students are issued an Identification Card during registration. Students must present their current MUW Identification Card before receiving refund checks from Office of the Comptroller. Also the inability to present a residential I.D. Card before entering the dining hall may result in the student having to pay for his/her meal.

Withdrawing students must surrender their I.D. cards to the Dean’s office when they complete the withdrawal form.  In addition, they must make final adjustments to their accounts with the Office of the Comptroller. The student may retain a Food Services I.D. and continue to eat in the cafeteria if prepayment has been made.

Replacement cards can be obtained from the Campus Card Office in McDevitt Hall. A lost I.D. card will be replaced upon payment of $25.00.

Parking Decal

Any individual who regularly operates or parks a motor vehicle or motorcycle on the campus and streets of Mississippi University for Women must register the vehicle and display the appropriate decal on or before the first day of classes or within twenty-four hours (excluding weekends and holidays) after it is first brought on the university campus or streets. A fee of $25.00 is charged for a parking decal.

Student Supplies

Books and other academic supplies may be secured at the University bookstore, which is located on the first floor of the Hogarth Student Center. The fees and expenses previously cited do not include the cost of these items.

Personal Expenses

Money intended for personal expenses cannot be entered on the books of the University, nor are students allowed to draw on their pre-paid residential accounts or tuition to meet other expenses. In addition to books and supplies, students are responsible for the costs related to campus organizations and personal activities. They may find a checking account with a home or local bank convenient for the safe management of funds necessary for the miscellaneous expenses of daily life.